About Google Apps Script
I still use GAS from time to time, whenever I need to exchange data with people who only really feel comfortable using spreadsheets, or for prototypes. So I thought it’d be useful to crystallise the little I know into a boilerplate, perhaps adding some extra bits.
Minimal Google Apps Script boilerplate
The script is available on GitHub.
When I created it, you couldn’t import GAS scripts into your spreadsheet. I don’t know if that’s changed, but the old way to use it is
- Create your spreadsheet and name it so that it gets saved
- Select Tools > Script Editor from the spreadsheet menu. That will open a new browser tab with the script editor
- Copy and paste the content of minimal.js into it
- In the menu above the script select ‘onOpen’ (it was the one next to the ‘bug’ icon when I wrote this), and then the ‘play’ button
- Now go back to the spreadsheet - there should be a new menu entry ‘MY MENU’ beside ‘Help’
Once you got get going, you are ready to hack away. The ‘help’ menu will take you to API references for the various Google Apps products (Spreadsheet is only one of the available ones)